Indians rebound from a sluggish start

By Daniel Priest, Sun Correspondent

UPDATED:   06/09/2018 08:10:25 AM EDT


BILLERICA — State tournament games are typically associated with increased intensity and fireworks. At Marshall Middle School on Friday night, that is exactly what was delivered in the game between the Billerica Indians and Wakefield Warriors.

The opening nine minutes featured a combined nine goals and the host team falling behind by two goals just six minutes in.

But No. 2 Billerica (16-5) was able to find its footing after falling into the early hole to put an end to 10th-seeded Wakefield’s (10-8) season with a 7-4 victory in the quarterfinal round of the MIAA Division 2 North boys lacrosse tournament.

After the Warriors picked up two quick goals, the Indians got some help from junior Matthew Milano (2 goals) when he scored two goals just two minutes and nine seconds apart to tie the game.

Wakefield’s Ryan Fitzpatrick, right, attempts to stop Tyler Morris of Billerica. SUN/JULIA MALAKIE

Sun staff photos can be ordered by visiting our SmugMug site.

“To get the team on track we just tried to push the ball in transition, move the ball around, and whatever came to us we took advantage,” Milano said.

For head coach Craig Flynn, it was important for his team to counter after getting blasted early.

“They’re a tough team, coach has those kids playing well over there,” he said. “They made some really laser accurate shots in the first quarter where I knew our guys would respond and rebound.”

In the middle two quarters the team did just that. The second quarter was even until the final three minutes when Billerica tied the game on a goal from Tyler Morris and then closed out the half with a defensive stand that brought the crowd to life.

Goal tender Justin Guinane made key saves all game long.


“Justin’s a great goalie, he had a ton of saves today,” said Flynn. “They had three goals in the first quarter and only one goal the rest of the game. Our defense is really strong and we knew we could come back.”

The momentum carried into the third quarter. Two minutes and seven seconds into the period Billerica got a goal from James Einarson to take its first lead and 42 seconds later Colby Cyrus scored to make it 5-3.

Billerica’s Patrick Quinn, right, gets a step on Wakefield’s Thomas Harrington. SUN/JULIA MALAKIE

Sun staff photos can be ordered by visiting our SmugMug site.

Patrick Quinn (2 goals) added the final two scores to push the Indians into a semifinal matchup with third-seeded Winchester (14-3) next Tuesday.

Read more:

About billericalacrosse

Billerica Lacrosse Coach
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s